How do we define it?
What are some examples?
What are some good related stories?
Excerpts from Lewis Hyde’s The Gift, Chapter 1
Excerpt from Elinor Ostrom’s Governing the Commons.
- What is Hyde’s idea of a gift? Does it exist in our society, perhaps under a different name? How might it be more a part of our society?
- Describe a commons that you interact with regularly. What are the official or unofficial rules that regulate that commons? Who enforces those rules? Does it work and is it sustainable?
- Think back to the Prisoner’s Dilemma game that we played in class. What are ways in which we can keep people from acting solely out of self interests?
Read Chapters 1, 2 (beginning on p.20), 3, & 12. Here are some preliminary questions:
- Do you see the practice of collaborative design enhancing community in your daily life? If so, on more than one scale? Please describe.
- How do you think the decision making structure of collaborative groups affects design? Have your experiences with this been positive or negative? Please describe.
- How is the process of collaborative design visible in physical objects and spaces? Can you give some examples?